Jonathan was born in Northern Ireland but immigrated to the US at two months old, so he considers himself a native of North Carolina. Jonathan excelled in school, graduating from Western Carolina University with a perfect 4.0 GPA. Then, he went on to graduate from Elon University School of Law with a 4.186 GPA, ranking first out of 107 students.
While in law school, Jonathan served as the Federalist Society president and achieved multiple law school awards, including Clinical Legal Education Association Outstanding Student, Presidential Scholar, Dean's List, and multiple Outstanding Performance Awards in various classes. As a Judicial Extern for North Carolina Supreme Court Justice Paul Newby, Jonathan got to participate in and gain valuable experience and understanding of the appellate process.
Jonathan also gained experience in a wide variety of practice areas when he was a Judicial Intern for Chief Judge Frank Whitney in the US District Court for the Western District of North Carolina in Charlotte. He drafted over a dozen orders and attended court proceedings in cases ranging from criminal law to labor law.
But Jonathan isn't just studious and brilliant; he's also been gifted with musical and practical abilities. He plays the French horn at his church, and he has helped repair pianos, furniture, and wood floors. He also enjoys playing church league softball, cooking (especially grilling), and videography.
In spite of his many talents, those who know Jonathan best call him humble, thoughtful, and dedicated. Jonathan cares about getting the job done right, not getting the credit. He's known for solving complicated legal issues, and he's well-connected and respected by leading legal influencers throughout the state.
Jonathan gives back to the community by tutoring students in college, helping law students studying for the bar exam, and working with his church youth group. Jonathan has a wonderful wife, Louise.
- Elon University School of Law
- J.D., Summa Cum Laude
- Class Rank – 1 of 107
- 4.186 GPA
- Full-load Presidential Scholarship recipient
- Clinical Legal Education Association Outstanding Student Award
- Outstanding Performance Awards – Legal Method and Communication I, II, and III; Civil Procedure; Torts; Evidence; Business Associations
- Advocacy Fellow
- Academic Teaching Fellow
- Western Carolina University
- B.S.B.A. in Business Administration and Law, Summa Cum Laude
- 4.0 GPA
- Most Outstanding Major Award
- Chancellor's List and Dean's List
- Judicial Extern, Chief Judge Frank Whitney, US District Court for Western District NC
- Judicial Extern, Associate Justice Paul Newby, NC Supreme Court
- North Carolina State Bar